Mike is a formally trained mediator and arbitrator with an extensive educational background in alternative dispute resolution. As an experienced litigator, Mike strives to provide cost-effective and practical solutions to his clients through the use of litigation, mediation, and a number of other alternative dispute resolution forums. His ADR background gives him the “decision maker’s” perspective which assists his clients in assessing their personal risks. He prides himself on his adaptability and his creative approaches to reach resolutions. He has particular interest in the following areas:
- ADR including mediation and arbitration of all manner of disputes
- Professional Liability claims against and on behalf of professionals including architects, engineers, psychologists, dentists, accountants, financial planners, lawyers, and medical professionals such as chiropractors, surgical podiatrists, physiotherapists, exercise therapists and veterinarians
- Construction Litigation representing design professionals, contractors, and project managers in a multitude of construction-related claims including complex building/construction/design deficiencies, property loss and delay claims
- Catastrophic Personal Injury and Fatality Litigation
- Corporate and Commercial Litigation contractual, commercial, and shareholder disputes
- Energy Litigation including oil and gas property disputes, business interruption claims relating to drilling operations, well workovers, pipeline and facilities claims, and environmental contamination
- Administrative Law with a focus on defending professionals prosecuted by self-governing administrative bodies.
- Family Law and Estate Litigation mediations and arbitrations.
Mike has represented clients in the Court systems of western Canada and the northern territories and has extensive experience with large, complex multi-party litigation. He has presented papers and lectured on a number of litigation topics before a variety of audiences and has been involved as both an instructor and an evaluator of articling students on the subject of Civil Litigation for the Bar Admission course (CPLED). He has presented as a guest lecturer at SAIT for the Construction Department.
Mike currently sits as a member of the Assurance Fund Adjudications (Finance) Committee at the Law Society of Alberta. He is a former member of the Conduct Committee for the Law Society. Mike is a former executive member of the Board of Directors of the ADR Institute of Alberta.